Generator -> Alternator

To: "Scions of Lucas" <British-Cars@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Generator -> Alternator
From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
Date: 2 Nov 1994 09:08:20 U
   Generator -> Alternator
  I looked at the alternator I installed on my Healey last night.  One thing
to remember is that to use an alternator, one must either convert the car to
negative ground (if it is not presently that way) or reverse the polarity of
the diodes in the alternator.  I personally think converting the car to
negative ground is the way to go, it makes eventual replacement of the
alternator easier if it becomes necessary.  Besides, if you have a car like
mine with a mechanical tach, the only step (if you're replacing the
generator) is to reverse the battery cables.
  I started with the large wire which formerly came from the hot side of the
solenoid to the generator.  It now goes to the large lug on the Delco
alternator.  This wire is yellow on my Healey.
  Next I used the field wire from the generator (yellow with green tracer)
and disconnected it from the voltage regulator and tied it to the switched
side of the ignition (that is, it should not be powered when the key is off).
 The end which had been connected to the F terminal on the generator is now
connected to the F (or #2) terminal on my Delco alternator.  IMPORTANT -- if,
like my Healey, you have a simple ignition switch which had only two
terminals, then you need to put a diode in this line to the #2 alternator
terminal to prevent current from coming out when the key is off and powering
the coil.  This causes the engine to keep running even after the key is
turned off.

Positive  |       Solenoid    Large Lug        #1  R
Terminal  |                   On Alternator

 Switch                |/ |

I used a 4 amp, 50 volt diode, it's probably overkill.

  That's all there is to it.  Making brackets was far more difficult.
There's a guy in Dallas who is makes brackets for Big Healeys if anyone is
interested.

           --  Dave L.