Re: The Wonderful Car

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, triumph@io.org
Subject: Re: The Wonderful Car
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 10:20:24 +0800
~ O.K. - it may not meet all the criterion and it may cost too much unless
~ to buy a beater BUT the purest shape, with no exterior handles, the
~ purest form, with that incredable folding windscreen is the Healey 100-4,
~ in the BN2.

I almost bought one -- well, actually a '55 BN1.  That's my top regret
on cars I let get away.

~ No, I don't own one, I have the soft "evolution" (devo?) in the 3000 III,
~ but when ever I see a 100-4 I now that I am looking at the archetypal
~ (SP!) sportscar. It's like Plato's forms, with all those people in the
~ cave looking at shadows . The 100-4 is IT !

Agreed; the differences are subtle, but telling.  Having been a longtime
member of the Austin-Healey Club, Pacific Centre (South-Central Coast
Region, to be specific), I became intimate with some of the differences
among various years and models of Big Healeys.  The windscreen, the
rake over the grille, and (best of all, in my eyes) the curvature of
the door-rear wing... that is somehow more sensuous than even the E Type,
at least in its very physical effect on me.

~ There is no compromise here. It is what it is with no convern or thought
~ for practicality. I've thought about this since the posting appeared and
~ that is my offering.

I haven't posted my own list yet, but I will shortly.  Interesting to
note that of all the vehicles on that list, the 100-4 is probably the
most usable on a semi-regular basis, with reasonable power, a solid
chassis, and comparative durability in its stout 2.6L four.  My only
question is whether to go with the '56 with its proper four-speed box
and improved brakes, or with the original BN1 with its backwards
shifter and O/D on the dash.

Well, that and how to come up with the money, of course... :-)  I have a
couple of possibilities that might make up the difference.  But yes, it
would be very nice indeed to have a daily-driver MGB and a Big Healey in
reserve, as it were.

Thanks!

--Scott