Re: Fuel Pump Pressure (again)

To: British-Cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump Pressure (again)
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 13:40:25
> From:          "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
> my TR3 has been running like $&*# for the last
> few months

 Onle look
> down the throat of my rear carb and there it was GAS trickleing
> in even with the engine OFF> Of course the car was flooding out
> while it was RUNNING!   Now I know I need a fuel pressure regulator.

> Now a question: It would seem that the higher pressure from an
> electric fuel pump is too much for the neele valves in the
> float chambers of the SU's.

No, not true *IF* you select the right pump. Once again, SU's want to see 2-3
PSI. There are many pressure ranges of pumps available- the common American
Carb type being 4-7 PSI. A regulator can bring it back down to the right
pressure, but they cost as much as the right pump to begin with.

Can gross jets help this problem? No. In fact, in my experience, needle
valves will seal to a higher pressure than Gross Jets.

Bottom Line- Buy the right pump.

   ________
  /___  _  \    Roger Garnett            (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /|   ||  \ \   Agricultural Economics  | "The South Lansing Centre
| |___||  _  |  3 Warren Hall           |  For Wayward Sports Cars"
| | \  |   | |  Cornell University      | (Lansing, NY)
 \|  \ |__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801 | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522          | Safety Fast!