Lever Shocks

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Lever Shocks
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 15:49:06 +0000 ()
I tried to answer an east coast Canadian the other day, on the topic of
lever shocks, but it never stopped bouncing. I've now the your name. If
you're out there it's great to hear from new canucks on the list and I
will say this:  Donald Healey himself said at a concours I attended
shortly before his death that if modern tube shocks had been available
when he designed his cars he would have specified them. I think he found
the concept of the original car a bit funny to tell the truth. However, I
have to say that lever shocks are quite good when they are working as
intended.  Perhaps few really are. The car that my fellow Canuck was
doing up had so many mods that I's say go with some Konis and toss the
levers.

HOWEVER - here's a tip on lever shocks. It's one that many of you will
ignore and say "Oh, I think not". I would myself if it was not for the
fact that the fellow who gave me the tip races british cars and runs a
restoration shop. He says that if you have a small/slow leak in the shock
you can fill it with automatic tranny fluid mixed with a little "stop
leak" and the seals will swell enough to bring the shocks back to life
for many years.

I have a great deal of respect for this anonymous mechanic and so I pass
on this tip. I'm stopping off to buy the goods on the way home, as he
also says that this trick improves the response of perfectly good shocks
too. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Christopher Ball
triumph@io.org

"But stop leak and all those little bottles of stuff are for banged out
 PINTOS! You can't be serious !!!"