MGA Problem ??????

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA Problem ??????
From: Richard H Barnett <rhbarnet@kocrsv01.delcoelect.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 09:02:08 EST
Hello all, its seems to be time to stop lurking and ask a question.  Morrie
(1960 MGA 1600) may have developed a problem and I would like some guidance
on where to look.

Last Sunday it was the first 80degree day, sunny, and I had an excuse to go
somewhere.  What would you do?  I tried to.  Although Morrie had been out
for about a 3-hour run the day before, he wouldn't even cough.  Symptoms:
The fuel pump only clicked about 4 times and did not gradually trail off
into slower and slower clicks as usual.  I let him sit for about 10 minutes and
tried again with the same result.  There was plenty of spark.  I took the
fuel line off the output side of the fuel filter and let it pump about a pint
of gas into a jar which seemed to mean the pump was OK.  I put it back on
and everything worked A-OK with the usual fuel punp clicks trailing off to
none and the car started at once.  The pump is a replacement courtesy of
the PO and I don't know what it is right now.

If it relates, while driving Morrie about 2 weeks ago, he took to coughing
and sputtering for a few miles about 45 minutes into the trip.  I attributed
it to fuel tank scrud (I've never looked into it in the year Morrie has
been with us) and gassed up.  The problem gradually subsided and hadn't
returned.

Is this a classic problem that a neophyte would miss or are there other
suggestions?  My current thinking is to drain and cleanthe tank, but
problems that come and go at will leave one feeling that its probably
not solved, just hiding.

Thanks
Dick