RE:MGA and more questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:MGA and more questions
From: "Alan Legerlotz .OSI Applications. dtn 226-5744" <legerlotz@smaug.enet.dec.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 94 09:12:56 EDT
Lin Sharpe writes:

>>I'm doing a frame off restoration of a 1500 MGA. What is the best way to
>>deal with the doors. They have rather rusty steel and the "dipper guy"
>>said he can't dip AL and Steel in the same vat..

Try to use brush on paint stripper on the door skin (aluminum) and it might be
best to sand blast the steel part.  I haven't gotten to my doors yet, but I'll
probably take this approach.

>>Are there any special problems to be aware of when patching the A frame
>>on the passenger side foot well frame member?

I have the exact same rust.  I'm getting ready to repair it.  That area under
the
goal post is the strongest of the whole frame.  My holes are only on the inner
side of the car, and I'm plannin on cutting out the rust and welding in a patch
pannel.  I have some 'strengthener' pannels that can then be welded on over the
entire area.  I'll zinc paint the metal surfaces between the strengthener and
the
existing frame, since the zinc paint I have is weldable.

>>What's your fav. material for floor boards .. I know wood . but which kind?

Marine plywood.  Other kinds will rot.  They use different glue in the marine
plywood.  Calk around the edge of the floor board supports to minimize the
amount
of water that can get in.  The rust on the inside of your frame is due to the
floorboards getting wet and the wood holding the moisture against the metal.

>>Where are the holes for the windshield wiper fluid nozzles located?

I'm not exactly sure, they're up near the windshield wipers (obviously).  There
is a book called "Original MGA" that should have this information in it.  Its
got
a ton of other information that is very valuable to someone doing this sort of
job.

>>How were the A bodies painted? I can't seem to get in all the spots in
>>the trunk.. It's like the parts were painted first then assembled but I
>>couldn't imagine them going to all that trouble.

I believe that the tubs were painted, then the fenders and doors were attached
already painted, but i'm not exactly sure.  I'd have to check my copy of the
book
above to see what it says.  I thought that I read this somewhere...

>>My rockers are shot.. i.e. after they were dipped, they were gone.  I
>>need to know if I should go ahead and buy the pillar-rocker set from moss
>>($$$) or get someone to build me that inner rocker box.

My suggestion is that you buy the inner sill parts from Todd Clarke (Clarke
Spares and Restoration).  I don't have his number handy, but he's in Doylestown
Pennsylvania.  He makes lots of oddball parts that the big parts places don't
offer.  If he doesn't have what you need, he can probably point you at someone
who does.

-Al
1957 MGA Roadster