Re: MGB tire size comment

To: gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB tire size comment
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 17:09:30 -0700
In message <9404272145.AA09537@csd4.csd.uwm.edu> Jon Mason Gougar Jr writes:
>    I have seen it mentioned here several times that it is not possible
> to mount tires larger than 185 on an MGB without modifications to the
> fenders or at least a method to restrain lateral axle movement in the
> rear. My 1973 BGT has a bazillion (well, 130000) miles on the rear springs,
> so they are SACKED, and I mounted 195/60 - 14's on the back and 185/60 -
> 14's on the front with no clearance problems whatsoever. Is this
> because I am running 60 series tires? It seems that I have the 'worst'
> combination for tire clearance: chrome bumper car with low ride height,
> sacked out springs, rotten spring pads that allow a LOT of axle movement.
> But I haven't had a tire so much as touch a fender.
>    Just my two cents

For another data point I have 195/60 15s all around on the '68 BGT.  No fit
problems on the front.  Rear required triming of inner flange along top of rear
wheel well.  On curves with a passanger it rubs on one side.  I will have to try
nylatron rear bushings to see if the lateral movement can be minimized.

TeriAnn Wakeman        Large format photographers look at the world
twakeman@apple.com     upside down and backwards
LINK: TWAKEMAN
408-974-2344          TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561