MGB tire size comment

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB tire size comment
From: Jon Mason Gougar Jr <gougar@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 16:45:25 -0500 (CDT)
   I have seen it mentioned here several times that it is not possible
to mount tires larger than 185 on an MGB without modifications to the
fenders or at least a method to restrain lateral axle movement in the
rear. My 1973 BGT has a bazillion (well, 130000) miles on the rear springs,
so they are SACKED, and I mounted 195/60 - 14's on the back and 185/60 -
14's on the front with no clearance problems whatsoever. Is this
because I am running 60 series tires? It seems that I have the 'worst'
combination for tire clearance: chrome bumper car with low ride height,
sacked out springs, rotten spring pads that allow a LOT of axle movement.
But I haven't had a tire so much as touch a fender.
   Just my two cents