TR6 Oil Seals, etc.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Oil Seals, etc.
From: DON BATSFORD <BATSFORD@BBN.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 94 09:16:30 EDT
Greetings -

I have been lurking in the shadows for a while - but with spring here I
have the new found desire to spend every spare waking moment working on
the 71 TR6 that I bought last fall.  Here is the first of many
questions.  Thanks in advance for any help!

I put new seals in my transmission last night and the front appears to
be straight forward - press it in until it seats on the shoulder. The
rear however, has me wondering - the DPO had the rear seal pressed flush
with the edge of the housing (this appears to have caused the contact
point between the seal and the shaft to be on a section of the shaft
that is not exactly silky smooth, thus causing the seal to fail - is
this about as clear as mud???)  My question, how far in do you press the
rear seal (mine appeared to seat at about 1/4 of an inch beyond
flush)??? The Bentley's manual was less than helpful - prise the old
seal out and press the new one in - gee, thanks guys. Speaking of
transmissions - I know there has been a lot of back and forth regarding
what to run for fluid - any opinions???

Two quick updates -

I was ready to have the radiator re-cored (best price was $225) and then
spotted the TR6 radiators that Moss is now selling for $237.50. As my
wife put it - "if your going to spend the money, this is a no brainer".
I ordered one and it arrived last week - what a beautiful thing to
behold!!!

The car is due back from the welding shop by the end of the week - those
road sign floor board made me nervous - so they are welding in new
floors as we speak.  I had the guy at the shop take a good look at the
frame after he had cut out the old floors. Much to my delight he
informed me that the frame on my TR6 was in the most beautiful condition
he had ever seen!!!

Thanks,

Don "are you sure there's no rot, this is New England" Batsford
Batsford @ BBN.COM