RE: British Cars Digest #1186 Tue Apr 26 18:16:11 MDT 1994

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: British Cars Digest #1186 Tue Apr 26 18:16:11 MDT 1994
From: "ALFIE::MRGATE::\"A1::FELTS1\""@id5.al.alcoa.com
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 8:15:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:   NAME: Tom L. Felts
        FUNC: SFTY (38)
        TEL: 412-337-2024                     <FELTS1@A1@ALFIE>
To:     NAME: VMSMail User SMTP%"british-car
<SMTP%"british-cars@autox.team.net"@MRGATE>

For Mark Williams
Re: Buying a Jag XKE

Four years ago, I bought a 66 Roadster that had been sitting in a barn for
7 years.  From all appearances, it was in very good restorable condition.
Today I'm 70% into a total restoration.

While it was in very good restorable condition, there were some things you
can't determine until you start to dismantle it---assuming you will be
taking it apart.  I found a bit more rust behind and under the seats than I
expected---the frame rails had small pin holes all through them, and had to
be replaced.  Calipers and brake pistors were frozen.  Usual stuff.

The rear suspension should be checked ----
shocks--brakes--leaks--connections to the car.

Floor pans tend to rust and go so check them.  The key things I looked for
were all the "right" stuff on the car.  Fortunately, everthing was
original, including the tools and bag.

If the price is right, go for it-----I would caution however---it IS
expensive to restore an E-Type!

Tom Felts