Misc MGB Questions revisited

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Misc MGB Questions revisited
From: John Trindle <jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 16:38:02 -0400
Daggit, the mailer keeps locking up.  Anyway, here is the gist of what
I was trhing to say in the last message.

Yes, the single carb is an HIF, not a Zenith (no diaphram, different shaped
dashpot, etc.  Looks just like the HIF picture).  The choke was stuck open,
causing a high idle, but we still can't get blue on the Colortune without
killing the idle.  It is a total bodge as the air flilter has several (!)
additional holes drilled in it, and the bolts go in at an angle, and the
choke (fast) idle adjustment screw was in upside down, etc. etc.

I "fixed" the odometer, thanks to the person who sent me local info on
getting it done.  I'll probably need it when my fix gives up.  I did get
down to Seven Enterprises, about 20 miles from where I live.  Whadda toy
store!

I was able to order a headlight switch from them, and so should be able to
rewire the under-dash properly.  My last problem before state inspection
is the turn signals.  Although my electric tach and water temp gages work
most of the time now (tho the water temp is suspiciously low), whenever I
engage the turn signal, the tach drops 500 rpm!  The lights don't blink
externally, and the indicator bulbs on the dash blink sometimes.  The
left one stays on when the flasher unit warms up (and you have a left
turn set on the switch).

We also got a fuel sending unit from Seven, but haven't had a chance to
install it.  We were out using up gas so we wouldn't have to drain as much,
and ran out!  So, a walk to the gas station with gas can and back and now
too tired to work any further. Next week when I get back from Dallas.

We put oil in the front shocks and the ride is much improved.  Seven told
us that the shock oil was quite expensive and lots of their customers
mixed 20W/50 and gear oil.  Oh, and we got the horn working <huzzah!>  Now
I have an aftermarket horn and a Spitfire horn in my MG.  Ah well.

As far as Octane for the MG and Spitfire... the MG seems to be very happy
on 87 octane, and the Spit doesn't knock on 89.  The Spit did knock on 87,
even with retarded timing.

Now, with the Colortune I did see some misfiring at idle.  The engine
doesn't vibrate much, but the spark isn't steady.  There is some sort of
electronic ignition in this thing... no points.  Everything fits in the
distributor housing though.

After inspection we get to figure out why the wiper fluid pump blows the
fuse, and how all the hood fasteners/clips/doo dah go on, so we can actually
put the top on.

Fun fun.

John Trindle -> jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov or 70303.3506@compuserve.com
69 Spitfire  /  73 MGB  /  88 RX-7 GXL

"Remember, no matter where you go.... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai"