Got my manifold and carbs

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Got my manifold and carbs
From: "Dan Parslow, x2556" <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 10:04:00 -0700 (MST)
Thanks to everyone who responded.  Through the good offices of
the local shop British Car Service and their resident parts locater,
I obtained the correct manifold and non-smogged carbs for my Vitesse.

Oddly enough, they weren't off an early GT6, but a Triumph 2000.
I've been offered the engine as well, the only guarantee is that
it's not actually busted, but it could easily be a major oilburner.
They're asking $300.

Anyone know whether this is reasonable for the earlier 1998cc
(not the later one with the TR6 head) engine of unknown condition?
I want to keep the Vit 1600 6, but as it's virtually unobtanium
the time may come sooner than I'd like when I need to rebuild it
and can't.   The logical thing for a near-purist to do then is
to put in the 2 liter equivalent, which is identical except for
the bore and valve sizes.

Am I making any sense here at all, or have I been thinking about
this stuff too long and need a long rest in the Happy Home for
Wannabe Classic Restorers?

Dan "A sane person would just go buy a Miata" Parslow
djp@alpha.sunquest.com

P.S.  There's a neat MKIII (rotoflex) GT6 for sale here with
a TR6 engine.  Needs paint and interior work, but looks sound and
complete.  Low-rust Arizona car.  They're asking $1500.  If anyone
would like me to check this car over closely let me know.  It
looks like a good and relatively straightforward project.