MGB shock absorbers: original or tube conversion?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB shock absorbers: original or tube conversion?
From: Greg Johnson <JOHNSONG@ac.dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 22:37:59 -0300
Hi folks!

     I am a british cars digest virgin/rookie, so please be
gentle...first a bit about me. I am a second generation MGB owner;
my Pop had one in '64 (He says it's how he landed Ma), and now
has a '66 replacement(restoration project). That's how I got
hooked.  I now have a '72, that somehow got a higher priority
than Pop's '66.  The '72 is now "restored", while the '66 is
still driveable, but sagging.  It is not original, but I'm proud
to say I have touched every inch (cm?) of her, and she's mine.
She's still not up to par, so I'll have many questions to post.
Here's one for starters.  Just looking for an opinion for a
future weekend project...

I have a leaky rear shock absorber (the british equivalent escapes
me) and she's quite shaky in the corners (haven't had her out yet
this year, so I forget the sensation).  I've been filling it up as
a temporary  fix, but they need replacing.  Are the originals good
enough or would it be better to replace with a tube-shock kit?
I gave up on originality from the start, since she was smashed
up by the PO front and back (it's a Florida car) and she has '73
carbs (we have a '64 & '73 in pieces), a makeshift grill (you know
the '72's, I have only the inner grill, pushed out flush... I don't
think an original will fit after the (PO) accident)  and a few
add-ons for safety (rollbar) and looks (airdam and driving lights,
minilites). I feel a little embarrassed to ask the true "enthusiasts"
out there for help, but lack of money makes us do drastic things.
I'll do better next time.

With thanks, from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada,

Greg "I can't wait until that new exhaust is on" Johnson

Johnsong@AC.Dal.Ca

P.S.  Is it politically incorrect to refer to a 'B' as a female?

P.P.S.  I've counted 6 MGB's in one city block in Halifax (3 '72's),
        a true MG city...so much for originality.