Early 'B

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Early 'B
From: Christopher Ackerson <ackerson@umr.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:59:40 -0600 (CDT)
        Last June (1993) I dropped my rusty '66 MGB off at a body shop.
Left the bodyman with Moss repro floorpans, sills, rockers, assorted
fender patch panels and the paint numbers for the original color paint. He
said it would be about two weeks.

        At the time, there couldn't have been a better deal. This bodyman
was charging a fraction of the $2000 - $5000 I was quoted by other
body-shops and he was going to do it in 2 weeks - most places said it
would probably take 6 months to a year.

        Anyhow I called him after 2 weeks, and he said it would be another
2 weeks. After another 2 weeks, he said it would be yet another 2 weeks.
This went on and on, and, as you might guess, the car is still in his body
shop, 11 months after I dropped it off. I've been out to look at it a few
times, and he's doing a wonderful job, it's just that, if I had known he
was going to take so long, I would have prepared the recently rebuilt
engine and transmission (Right after I finished rebuilding, I started
looking for body shops) for a long sit.

        As it stands right now, the car has been unused for nearly a year,
and hasn't had the fluids changed or anything. It should be done in
*another 2 weeks* (it really is getting close to being done - the welding
is done, the car is in primer) and I was wondering what I should do before
I try to start it again. I'm planning right now on changing the oil and
gas, as well as removing the sparkplugs and putting some oil in the
cylinders to lube things up a bit. I may also fill the float chambers with
gas to "prime" the carbs. Aside from that, and cranking the engine with
the coil disconnected until I get a reading on the mechanical oil pressure
gauge, is there anything I should do?

        Will Z. - On my '66 MGB the coil is mounted to a bracket which is
mounted between an engine mount and the place where the engine mount
touches the engine bay. I.E. all the bolts which hold the engine mount to
the engine compartment go through the bracket. I don't know if this is the
"correct" setup or not.

                -Chris Ackerson

'66 MGB                 <- Looks better than it runs
'78 Toyota Corolla      <- Runs better than it looks.

I'm a college student.