Misc. MGB Questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Misc. MGB Questions
From: John Trindle <jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 07:44:39 -0400
Well, the '73 MBG runs.  We do need to get the wiring straightened out
(it has an aftermarket headlight switch to the right of the steering wheel,
and you wouldn't BELIEVE the wiring.  Or maybe you would <g>).

First, shocks.  Does this year use the "oil shocks" I have heard about?
The front shocks are not functioning at all, and I am getting seasick driving
it.  What do I put in these shocks... that is, can I use motor oil, gear
oil, or is there a special shock oil I need?  Should I pull them off and
inspect the seals first, or just fill them and hope for the best?

Next, carburation.  This particular car is using what looks like a single
SU HIF.  The car runs pretty well at initial start and going down the
road.  When I stop it for a few minutes, I don't get fire unless I hold the
throttle wide open and keep cranking.  There is no heat shield, and the
exhaust sounds like it is running rich (the idle drops if left to idle too
long, too).  Leaving the car alone for 20 minutes or so lets it start up.

The speedometer works but the odometer doesn't.  Is this something I can
fix by opening the speedometer, or should I take the gage to a shop?

Last, I have a front end shimmy from 47-52 indicated MPH.  I suspect the car
needs
wheel balancing, but could this also have to do with or be aggravated by the
lack of damping?  The effect disappears above and below that speed range.  It
is pretty severe!