Sealants and Snake Oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Sealants and Snake Oil
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 11:58:41 +0800
Some time ago, there was discussion here about a class of
from-the-outside sealants.  These varieties of goop, it
seemed, could be sprayed, rubbed, smeared or otherwise
applied to the outside of a leak and, through the magic
of Capillary Action, they'd close up the gap.  Presto, no
more oil spots on the garage floor.  The discussion at the
time hinted that you might be able to use it even on
oily or dirty seals; simply apply it _in situ_ and it does
the rest.

Needless to say, this sounds an awful lot like something
you'd use to oil the snakes you find on the swamp land
you bought in Florida from the guy who'd previously sold
you the Brooklyn Bridge.  However, if it DOES work, you
can well imagine that we have close to a thousand readers
on this list who'd love to use the stuff.

So I'm asking for the following information:

  - Does such a substance exist?

  - What is it called and who makes it?

  - Have you ever actually used it?

  - How successful was it in leak abatement?

I, of course, am wondering whether it would be simpler to
run a hose filled with this stuff up under my heat shield
and seal in the rear tappet cover without having to remove
and reinstall it.  But I'm concerned that this is more the
kind of thing you do to a car on Friday that you're planning
to sell on Saturday just prior to leaving the country on
Sunday, and since this car is a keeper, I'll probably Do
The Right Thing.  However, if the stuff exists and works,
there are lots of applications for it on a hopelessly shot
old British sports car...

--Scott "Anyone got a vat large enough to dip an engine?" Fisher