re: welding fuel tanks...

To: britcars@northbeach.Corp.Sun.COM
Subject: re: welding fuel tanks...
From: Volney.Spalding@Corp.Sun.COM (Volney Spalding)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 11:22:28 +0800
I hope this isn't heresy, but I follow the porsche list also.
This discussion has been going on both lists for a while.

Your mileage may vary....

Vol

Date: 20 Apr 94 10:35:45 EDT
From: Peter Albrecht <76416.167@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Leaky 914 gas tank

Hi, Alex.

Do NOT under any circumstances try to weld the tank. Even if you rinse out
the gas, boil the tank, whatever, you will STILL have gas fumes in it when
you weld. The gas gets into pores in the metal and comes out when you heat
it. Gasoline vapor in an enclosed space is also known as a bomb. The tank
can be welded, but unless you are a professional welder, take it to a shop
that specializes in this. They can do it. They boil the tank out, fill it
with water to nearly the level of the holes, and weld a patch on it.

I would not recommend any sort of "better living through chemistry" fixes.
Epoxy, fiberglass, whatever, I'd be concerned about how long they last.

Suggest you swap tanks, at least for now.

Pete