MBG head problems HELP

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MBG head problems HELP
From: Your Name Here <awolf@hpbs2357.boi.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 09:24:44 -0600
HELP, below is the saga of my poor MGB.

The MGB is behaving very poorly, 1.5 years ago it started smoking
VERY BADLY while heading up to hill top. I got it home and yanked
the head, couldn't see anything so I assumed a head gasket and
stuck it back together.

Well last year it seemed to do somewhat okay, just an occassional puff
when warming up. Yanked the head again, checked for flatness, installed
a new head gasket, but it persists.

Well driving it this year, every time I settle down to an idle (stoplights)
and then accelerate the huge puff of burned antifreeze is left behind.

The cloud now always follows high vacuum occurences. I checked the plugs
and # 3 fouls quite often, # 2 is somewhat better and # 1 & 4 are fine.
DID leak downs cold and 1 is 5%, 2 is 6%, 3 is 5%, and 4 is 9%.

I suspect that I may have a leak from the cooling system into the combustion
chamber on #3 and possibly a much smaller one on #2. I also loose (burn) alot
of anitfreeze and a 20 mile ride usually costs me 1 to 2 qts antifreeze.

I am hoping that it is NOT a cracked head, but I understand this can happen,
I have a 65 B with the 5 main  block. I would like anyone with experience with
this to let me know if I am on the right track and if I am can I fix it or
must I replace the head??? Any good used heads out there??

Andrew Wolf
awolf@hpbs2357.boi.hp.com
1947 Indian Chief
66 BSA Spitfire "former paint shaker: