Re:Installing side curtain retaining strips

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Installing side curtain retaining strips
From: John Thomas <ccsjst@midge.bath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 1994 10:17:58 +0100 (BST)
Doug Phillips wrote recently on installing TD side curtain retaining strips.

> This is an obscure tech tip, but I submit it nonetheless in the event
> someone may recall it and be helped by it in a future endeavor.

Having recently fixed new 'side curtains' to my TF I can confirm that Doug
has got the description for fixing the strips spot on.

Here's an extra tip for anyone who is replacing T type side screens
themselves, as opposed to just the chromed strips.

New sidescreens come undrilled - the problem is how to select the best
position for them on the supporting metal frames before cutting holes in
the fabric for the little oblong headed bolts which go through the
material and the holes in the frames.

Having removed the old side screen canvas & perspex install the bare
metal side frames on the car then errect what we Brits call the hood
Thats the bit that most hardy T type owners keep folded down all year -:)

Then as we say over here - offer up - the new side screens to the frames and
adjust the positioning so that they will fit snugly with the rear edge of the
windscreen, sorry - windshield - and the aforementioned hood.

At this point acquire assistance in the form of two extra hands,  so
that whilst the side screens are held in place you can
temporarily attach them to the frames. I did this with a couple of pins
thru the canvas and the holes in the frames.

You next lower the hood and carefully take the side screens and frames
off the car so that you can make all the holes in the side screen canvas
for the little oblong headed bolts.

Now follow Doug's advice to fix the chromed finishing strips

Finally with my new side screens I had to carefully cut away the
protective layers of canvas between which the actual perspex is
sandwiched - if you don't you won't be able to see in or out!

You should eventually end up with as weather proof a T type as is
possible -:)

Octagonally advantaged of Bath

John

   John Thomas
   1953 (first day's production) MG TF - LHD ex Colorado & Pennsylvania
   MG CC (UK) South West Centre T Reg Drivers Champ last 2 years