Re: MGB oil pressure sender

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB oil pressure sender
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 23:07:19 -0400 (EDT)
Someone replied to Wade with:

>       Wade, are you sure you have the right item, or has there
>       been a retrofit of something new? Oil pres. guages have always
>       been mechanical. Before the single guage between the spedo and tach.
>       it shared the same housing with the temp guage.

MGB's, up to 67, had the combo mechanical gauge you mention. Spridgets used
this same gauge through '76 or so. But in '68, the B got a new dash panel,
complete with a new suite of gauges. A full dial electric temp gauge to one
side, and a square faced oil pressure gauge in the middle. These were, at
first, electric. In 71 or 72 they became mechanical again.
 In 77, both models got a dash facelift again. The B got a round, mechanical
oil gauge, while the Midget got only a temp gauge, no oil pressure. I believe
this design change was to help cure the "low oil pressure" complaints. :>

 Wade, as you've found, that transmitter is rare and costly. Unless you're
gong after an authentic restoration, I would suggest digging up a mechanical
gauge from a 72-76 car. It will fit in the same hole, is more accurate, and
gives a real time readout. The electric gauge took about 30 seconds to
register a change. Not good enough for a car that can oil surge in left
handers when a quart low.

   Randy
     randy@taylor.wyvern.com