Re: TR-4 Racing

To: jdickert@Alice.Wonderland.Caltech.EDU
Subject: Re: TR-4 Racing
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 17:35:07 -0600
I may be the wrong person to ask, since I am seriously thinking about
bailing out of big TRs, and may soon be selling a TR3 project, as well
as the Rust Rocket.  So of course I'll try to convinve you a TR4 is a
great ride for vintage racing.

The Rust Rocket, as some longer term members of this mailing list might
remember, is a TR4.  I ran it as an autocrosser for about a year or so,
then sold it when I got a TR4A.  The kid I sold it to blew the motor, sold
it to another guy, from whom I bought it so I could get some of the TRS
[that's Trick Racing, uh, Stuff] off it for the 4A.  Which, of course, I
subsequently sold to get the 250 I have now.  I'll probably keep that one
for a while, even if I do let the 3, 4 and 6 go.

The gist of this message is yes, a TR4 would be a good race car.  Strong,
simple, reasonable competitive.  Enough were sold so that they are somewhat
plentiful, aka cheap, and there is a big enough market to keep a lot of
parts available.  There's a book about setting up British cars for vintage
racing, which I have at home so I can't give any more details about, there
are some tips in the Bentley manual reprint of the TR4 competition handbook
and a few others, so finding good info about the car is not too difficult.

Gee, maybe I should take some time off work and get the Rust Rocket out of
the shed, put together a motor and head for the Intermountain Vintage Racing
hillclimb on June 5th & 6th.  Anyone want to buy a TR4 project car?

mjb.