TR Rear Springs

To: LANG@isis.mit.edu
Subject: TR Rear Springs
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 08:51:38 PDT
Bob,
<I installed a set of "competition grade" springs.  The ride height is wrong.
I would appreciate any feedback from this list regarding stiffer rear springs
for TR6.  My car is at least an inch or so high in the back.>

I bought TRF "Mild Competition" rear springs for my TR4A a few years ago.
They caused the rear to be at least an inch too tall, just like yours.  I
thought
they would settle in time, but did not.  Installing matching Mild Competition
springs on the front would have made the ride height too high at both ends.
This may be a no-no, but I eventually heated the top coils to get the height
down and must do it again to get it a bit lower.  I'm happy with the spring
rate and fact that they don't droop or break, but the ride height was just
too high.  In fact, the handling improved after heating the springs; I suspect
it corrected the rear geometry.   Good Luck!

George Haynes
1965 TR4A, BRG, IRS, Surrey Top, Overdrive
1956 MGA, Dove Grey, live axle, soft top, Overdrive