HELP! (damned electrics never were my strong point ...)

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: HELP! (damned electrics never were my strong point ...)
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1994 23:33:44 -0500 (CDT)
Hi,

I need some netwisdom! A couple of days ago (just before taxes
were due!), I wrote in that the B (1978) had fried a wire and
that I was replacing it by opening the loom. Dreaded job, that's
for sure, but it's done. And the car's still dead )-:

Now what? Let me explain what my spelunking has found. First of
all, what's missing is power at the positive terminal of the
coil. At least I assume that there's supposed to be power there.
At any rate, on earlier B's (75-76 or so) there's a white-with-
light-green (WLG) wire leading from the positive side of the coil
through the resistor cable to a connection with other white+
wires; on later B's (e.g., the dead one in the garage), there is,
in addition to the WLG wire from +coil through resistor cable,
another WLG wire leading from +coil to the starter soleniod. It
is this latter WLG wire that fried and that is now replaced.

Lordy, this sounds confusing already. Maybe a little ascii-map
of the 1978 WLG curcuit will help.

starter     positive side  connect to
solenoid      of coil      resistor cable          W
  |______________|___________/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\|__WN
    *WLG            WLG            resistor cable  |
    *formerly fried wire

Ok, so what gives? I've tested for current at the point where the resistor
cable ties in with the several white+ wires. There is strong juice at that
point, as there is at that point in the resistor cable. This connection
is, by the way, located near the fuse box, more or less hiding below the
wrapped loom. From here, the resistor cable reenters the loom and heads
forward past the right-front horn/headlight connections, toward the
driver's side past the cooling fan connections, and comes out near the
left-front horn/headlight connections. At that point, it is connected to
the WLG wire that retraces the route back through the same loom and on to
the positive side of the coil.

Now, when the battery is connected and key on, the resistor cable is
physically hot (i.e., to the touch) - throughout its length. Testing with
one of the little pencil testers shows a nice bright light at the
beginning of the resistor cable (i.e., near where it connects in with the
several white+ wires), decreasing brightness as you go toward the
connection with WLG, and nothing at the point where it does connect with
WLG at the left-front (though it's still pretty warm to the touch at that
point). I assume that these observations are exactly as they should be;
what else could a resistor cable do in life?

Now to observations at the other end of the WLG circuit. Well, there isn't
much to report. On the big battery connection with all the brown wires,
there's lots of juice. There's nothing at the WLG wire.

Somebody got any advice on what I should check for, do, learn, try, dream
up next? I'd sure appreciate any wisdom you can give. My problem is that I
really have no idea of how things are SUPPOSED to be, if functioning
correctly! My other problem is that I'm getting tired of being without
wheels. Obviously, the first problem is at the root of the second )-:

Thanks,
Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn