Rich Z-S carbs and Choke Cables

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Rich Z-S carbs and Choke Cables
From: MULLENT@YMV5.YMP.GOV
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 1994 11:18:45 -0700 (PDT)
James TenCate wrote about getting advice concerning leaning out rich
Z-S carbs.  I seemed to have missed that thread, so could some kind
person please send me the info???  I, too, have carbs that are running
too rich, even though the needles are adjusted to full lean (rebuilt
carb, new seals, new jets, new needles, etc.).  The carbs are just
barely rich now, (I'd like to have them set to the middle of the
adjustment range) so I'll leave it until the engine is completely
broken in (only about 275 miles) and I need to take the carbs off
again, but I would like the info. Figured I would try to lower the
floats a couple of mm one of these days...

As for the Ian Macky's choke cable not holding, I remember my old TR4
having a stranded wire cable.  You pull it out to where you want it
(anywhere in it's range), twist it slightly to the right, and it held.
Twist it back to the left, and it releases...  Maybe a dreaded PO kept
twisting it too far and rounded things off inside? My advice is to fix
it right with no modifications, or you risk becoming a dreaded PO...
;-)   By the way, my Elans choke works the same way...  Come to think
of it, so did the throttle on the Cessna 172 and the Piper Cherokee
that I flew a couple of times in my youth...

Tim Mullen          mullent@ymv5.ymp.gov
72 Elan Sprint      For the few who know the difference...