TR8 gearbox oil

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR8 gearbox oil
From: wms@spin.att.com (Wayne Simpson)
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 10:48:28 EDT
This is going to both the TR8 and "big" lists sorry if you get two
copies.

   A recent post about the proper fluid for TR8 gearboxes has me
thinking again. Current wisdon is to use GM synchromesh gear oil
but one poster said he favors a 50/50 mix of GM and Ford type
ATF.
   Way, way back when I had a 76 Mustang II with an automatic, I
bought 8 quarts of B&M Trick Shift high performance transmission
fuild to change the oil in the trans. The oil was hyped as high
temperature compatible, but since it didn't specifically say
"type F" I chickened out and never put it in. Total transmission
failure and a rebuild took the need to do so away, in any case.
   Since I paid good money for this stuff (must have been $.65
a quart, in metal cans no less!) I have saved it all these years
but never installed it since I don't have anything with an automatic.
   I wonder if this blue synthetic oil would work in my TR8's
5 speed, either blended or straight. Are any of you hot rodders
out there familiar with this stuff? Is it even still available?
Opinions?

Wayne Simpson