If this is a 'Sickness', I don't want to get well

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: If this is a 'Sickness', I don't want to get well
From: KMWHEELER@ualr.edu
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 13:00:22 -0500 (CDT)
I think we all understand.  Reading about TeriAnn's TR-3 is almost like
reading our own thoughts.

I've had my '68 MGB since '89.  There are boxes of parts under the coffee
table, the new inner sill and front valance stand in the corner of one
room, next to the argon bottle.  Just a little more time, and a lot more
money, and will be racing.  This is the season, I know it.  And I get a
little done, but the car still sits silent under the ubiquitous blue tarp.

And then there's the Sprite that I might be able to save, that I have little
time for.  And then there's Louis, my silly little Renault R-10, that I'd
sell but I know no one wants and I don't have the heart or logic to not
care and I'd hate seeing such a neat, if funky, little car be destroyed.

To top it all off, I really want to make an offer on that E-type.  I pray
to get it, even though I don't have room for it.  I'll offer him $1500.  If
he takes it, then...

But sometimes you feel good about the cars.  Not in the dreamy way of what
they could be and so on.  I pulled the cylinder head off the B a couple of
weeks ago.  Polished it up, and cleaned the exhaust ports.  Put it back
on, drove around the block, and my pinging was gone.  My heart was almost
broke, because it wasn't running right.  A flash hit me.  Idiot.  You didn't
put the vacuum advance line back on!  Did that, fiddled with the Weber, and
WOW!!  The car has never had that much power!  It's great.  I am amazed.
There is really joy in all this after all!!  (It does still need a front-end
alignment.  That'll be this weekend.  Along with having my new Pirelli
185/79's put on)

Can I justify so much work on one machine and neglect on others?  I don't
know.  I do know that this is a part of me.  A part of me that better never
grow up.  If this is a sickness, I don't want to get well.

Keith

"the world spins so fast, that I might fly off"  -Duran Duran