The first drive and Clutches

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: The first drive and Clutches
From: Christopher Ball <triumph@io.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 12:33:18 +0000 (GMT)
Well I've been away on "holiday" since Easter painting the inside of the
house. In that time we've had some great weather in Ontario and some
freak snow but I did get out for that fabulous first drive of the spring
in the TR3A. What a super feeling that first run is every year. Really
blows off the mental cob webs.

Anyway, after the dirve it was time to to the clutch on the beasty. I've
done the other cars in years past but this was the first go at the "3".
Everything came out fine. I made up a nice wooden stand to support the
rear of the engine and out came the gear box. Drained it and refilled it
(with semi-synthetic gear oil and a dose of Slick 50 for boxes) . I fit a
new friction plate and pressure plate and centered the affair with my
space age plastice toll from TRF. Everything was cool.

Then ... I put the gear box on a trolly jack, "offered it up" as the
british say, to the flywheel and ... no dice on the last inch. Well, this
happens all the time, but with experience I'm getting better. But,
wiggled and stuff as I maight it would not go in.

I went back refreshed the next day and really eye balled all the holes
and tryed again. Nope. Pulled it all out and checked the alignment again.
Just perfect.

So, what's the deal?Anything special in the way of tips or such on
getting the gear box mated to the engine on the three, or am I just
having back luck to date?

All that said and done it's great to be back on the net and to be driving.

Chris Ball