Re: 78 Spitfire Engine drain plug and brake flushing question.

To: davec@ECE.concordia.CA (Dave Chu)
Subject: Re: 78 Spitfire Engine drain plug and brake flushing question.
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 94 14:44:58 PDT
> My second question is how does one go about flushing the brake system?
> Do you do one brake at a time and just keep on bleeding and adding fluid
> until clear fluid comes out and then move onto the next one?  Or do you
> drain the entire systems first, add fresh fluid, and the bleed the system?
No! don't drain it first (unless you're a masochist, of course) or you'll
introduce air into the system and spend the rest of the summer getting
it out.

Personally I like using an Eezibleed (in spite of my clutch flushing
story of a couple of weeks ago) because you can fill the Eezibleed
bottle with fluid then open the bleeder valve until the fluid clears
without too much risk of the reservoir emptying.

You can also draw fluid from the slave side either with a special pump
or a squeeze bottle.  Just make sure to check the reservoir frequently
so you don't pull in any air.  I may have a write-up from another list
on the squeeze bottle method.  It consist of using an air tight squeeze
bottle with a tube attached that slips over the bleeder valve.  Fluid is
sucked out through the valve.  The valve is closed before the bottle
stops drawing fluid and during reservoir checks/refills.

> I also checked the fluid in the clutch master cylinder and the liquid was
> black.  I don't understand this, the master and slave cylinders was rebuild

Yeah, I've seen this a lot.  Not sure what causes it but I don't think
it's unusual.  Flush the clutch too.

Roland