Emissions inspection update - Colorado

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Emissions inspection update - Colorado
From: Wayne Angevine <angevine@badger.Colorado.EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 94 11:34:25 -0600
Some of you will recall that a while back (probably a year or so ago) there
was some discussion about the new 'enhanced inspection and maintenance'
program for auto emissions, and what effect it would have on our cars.  At
the time, I posted a summary of the EPA draft regulations, and promised an
update when there was more to say.  It's taken a while to get to that point,
but here are my impressions of where we are now.  Once again, I'll try to
confine this posting to the facts of the matter, and urge anyone who feels
the need to resond to clearly distinguish between facts and opinions.

Here's a brief recap of the process.  The Clean Air Act amendments of 1990
required an updated program to bring all areas into compliance with standards
for airborne pollutants, the important ones in this case being ozone and
carbon monoxide (CO).  Ozone is a summer problem, the result of photochemical
processes working on hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides.  Carbon monoxide is
generally a winter problem.  Autos are the primary source of both in major
metropolitan areas.  Anyway, EPA did some studies and concluded that an
enhanced inspection and maintenance program was an important part of the
solution for areas with pollution problems.  The EPA-proposed rules required
a program for these areas that produced at least the same pollution reduction
as their 'model' program, which included an evaporative emissions test for
1982 and later cars and a dynamometer test for 1986 and later cars.

The EPA recommends and approves the program, but the states decide what to
do within that framework.  Therefore, what I'm about to tell you applies
in detail only to Colorado.  Other state's implementations will differ.
I hope, though, that what Colorado has done will be instructive.  My source
for this information is a very helpful and knowledgeable technician at the
Colorado Dept. of Health, who is also a British car enthusiast.  No written
document yet exists, the enabling legislation being fairly general.

To start with, all cars must be inspected under the old system in 1994.
(Previously, some cars only had to be inspected every other year).  The new
program goes into effect in January 1995 (July in Boulder County), and
consists of an idle test only for model years through 1981, and the dyno
and evaporative tests for 1982 and later years.  That means the vast majority
of British cars (and all Datsun roadsters) will be tested much as they are
today.  The only differences are a new analyzer and the separation of testing
from repair stations.  Private stations can still do the test for 1982 and
older cars, but they cannot also do repairs.  The standards may be "slightly"
tighter, and may be adjusted from time to time to maintain the target
percentage of failures.  The required cost of repairs before granting a
waiver will be $75 for pre-1982 cars.

I specifically asked about equipment inspections (read air pumps).  The
current rule that only model years 1974 and later are inspected for equipment
will continue, although they have the authority to extend that to earlier
years.  It's always been illegal to run a car without the original emissions
control equipment, as in all states.  The Health Dept. will accept non-
original equipment with the same function - the example I was given was that
a Chevette air pump was acceptable on an MG (presumably with some appropriate
plumbing - they're not terribly decorative :-)).

So that's the news from Colorado.  As I said, your mileage *will* vary.
Anyone who's interested should get in touch with the appropriate people in
your state, and post a summary of what you learn.

Wayne Angevine (angevine@badger.colorado.edu)