Re: MGB GT V8

To: peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu
Subject: Re: MGB GT V8
From: sfisher@megatest.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 17:25:15 +0800
> Dear British Car Fans,
>
> I'm contemplating shoehorning a Rover V8 into my 1970 MGB/GT.

Note that it's easier to do with MGBs made after September 1973,
as they already had the firewall modifications made for the
factory's own MGB-V8 projects.  On even later cars, the radiator
is moved forward to simplify things further.

> I'm thinking of using British Parts Direct's kit for the project.
> Anyone have any suggestions on this matter and have any experience
> with that firm?

The last I read of their conversion, it required an MGC transmission,
which is what the factory did on its BV8 cars.  That's adequate, but
it's better if you can find a TR8 or Rover gearbox, though I don't
know what work is required to put that box into the B's tunnel.  The
later five-speed has much stronger gears, designed to take the low-
end torque of the 3.5L V8.  That motor doubles the displacement of
the four, and puts out from 135 to 155 bhp in various stock guises,
up from about 80 in your '70 1800cc block.

Other than that, yes, several people on this list have experience
with that firm.  Surely some of them will have something to say.
I prefer not to.

> Also, I live in California and would like to have the car street legal.
> Is that possible?

Oh, yeah, it's POSSIBLE.  It's also POSSIBLE that monkeys may fly
outta my ... ahem.

Sometimes I get the feeling that California law is based on the premise
that if you like to drive it, it's illegal.  Consult an actual expert on
the matter, such as your local CARB referee (and even they will give
four answers for every five referees you ask, I've heard).

It *used* to be true that for engine swaps, you had to match the smog
equipment/emission levels of the newest component, that is, either the
chassis or the engine.  That was in 1988, when I was looking into a
rotary swap into one or another British sports car of about 1970 or
so; I'd come across a couple of rollers and was researching the cost
and trouble of the process.  I have no idea if that is still true
today.  I mean, in 1988, we were concerned over a president who may
or may not have been involved in a shady savings-and-loan deal involving
a member of his family... hey, waitaminit... well, you get the idea. :-)

My recommendation?  Don't hot-rod anything newer than 1965.  Present
law lets you register cars built in 1965 and earlier without smog tests,
either at time of sale or at two-year intervals as with newer cars.  At
least, that's what we were told when we registered our 1963 Volvo 122S
recently.  I'm currently thinking about getting another '63 or '64 122S
and putting in something Interesting, but then I'm a nutcase.

> If it is possible to have it smog legal, does anyone have suggestions
> on the best way to go about that?

Start with a pre-65 car or move to Nevada.  Consult a legal expert (or
look up the law yourself; hey, anyone here on Lexis?) before you spend
any money.

> Yours,
>
> John Peloquin
>
> Entomology/Engineering
> UC, Riverside

So how long ago did you hear every de-"bugging" joke known to mankind?
As long ago as we all heard every Lucas joke? :-)