Re: Minis and USA regs

To: randy@taylor.wyvern.com (Randy Wilson)
Subject: Re: Minis and USA regs
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 1994 10:00:44 -0500 (CDT)
Randy Wilson writes >

> The last year for Minis in the U.S. was '67, same as the Healey 3000s. Smog
> laws started in 68, combined with internal and market restructuring at BLMC.

Right.  Any car sold in the USA had to be certified for sale here.  This
was true for any car manufactured on or after January 1, 1968.  You have
heave heard of "The Day The Music Died"?  This is the day the car-nut's
freedom to choose died (Black New Year's?).  The Super Seven and many other
cars became automobilia non grata in the USA, as their manufacturers decided
not to try to have them certified for sale in the USA.

> Also, what's this about a minimum weight? The U.S. gov loves to meddle with
> things that are none of it's business, but this is beyond even them.

Not exactly, see below.

> Hmmm, let's see. If the 510 was 2010, and just barely made it... how did
> things like most Lotus', Spridgets, and even Fiat 850's, Honda 600's and
> Subaru 360's sneak into this market in the early 70's?

Here is the scoop on weight:  There was a loophole that was open for a
while after Black New Year's.  A manufacturer could get a car certified
for sale in the USA without passing smog and crash tests if the car
weighed less than 1000 pounds.  Since a Lotus Seven (not a Super Seven)
could weigh less than 1000 pounds easily, we car freaks were waiting for
Colin Chapman to certify the Seven for sale.  He didn't.  He wanted to
quit making it, and completely replace it with the Europa, so a really
neat little car was lost to us Yanks.  There WAS a manufacturer who had a
long-standing car that weighed less than 1000 pounds, and moved to certify
it.  Unfortunately, the car was a complete pile of goat manure:  The
Subaru 360.  They used to sell them brand new for $800 at White Bear Dodge.
I think the extreme safety and smog problems with this piece of junk (far
inferior to a Trabant) is what moved the Feds to close the loophole and
eliminate the 1000 pound rule.  As for Fuji Heavy Industries, LTD, this was
marketing blunder of epic proportions.  They should never have let any
American SEE a Subaru 360 before the subsequent introduction of their FWD
line.

>Honda 600

Since you said seventies, you are talking not about the roadster, but the
FWD sedan (and Honda Z sports coupe).  Therein lies a tale.  A shipment of
these was refused entry to the USA because of dangerous heaters.  Now I
would have expected any car mogul to amputate the heaters and sell the cars in
Mexico.  Not Honda.  They sent them all to the crusher in the USA, under
the watchful eye of Customs.

Suzuki had a tiny 4x4 with a 360 engine that may have come in under the
1000 pound rule.  They were largely forgotten.