Re: Exotic lbc happening in Washington, Missouri!

To: <british-cars@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, lesnyd@monsanto.com,
Subject: Re: Exotic lbc happening in Washington, Missouri!
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 10:55:57 EDT
> Living in the small bedroom community of Washington, Missouri, it's always an
> exciting event when I pass an lbc, or see one on the road. There's some jerk
>who
> owns a Mk.3 GT6 who refuses to wave, even when I go by him in MY GT6+ and wave
> wildly...

He must be jealous - I have a Mark III, and I'm jealous... I'd still wave,
though.

> and there was a PERFECT, long-wheelbase Land Rover.
> On the back was a Union Jack, and some stickers from Uganda.
> I kept thinking of all the places this vehicle had been, all the things folks
> had done with it, like rounding up giraffes, chasing zebras...

Have you been watching old Daktari episodes? I can tell you that although
I have had the pleasure of banging through the bush in an lwb Land Rover
in Africa (and yes, it had the little windows around the top) I can tell
you that very few indeed of the Land Rovers in Africa get used to chase
wildlife. Many more have the wild life going on right inside of them! However,
it rather sounds (from the Christus label) like the one you saw was an ex-
missionary car, and most likely didn't chase anything but the the souls of
the heathens (the missionaries there were pretty hot for my heathen soul,
but they soon realized that it wasn't available for such cheep rates as
they had to offer). But they often had neat cars, much more often than the
average folks about. Money from their congregations in the US paid for most
of it. We had a VW camper bus and a Reneault 4 to drive around in - both of
them stayed in Africa when we left, and at a tidy profit too. The Land Rover
had to stay with the UN - it was one of the staff cars that my dad got to
use.

--
---
John R. Lupien