Multiweight oil viscosity

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Multiweight oil viscosity
From: DANIELS@LMSBV2.TAMU.EDU (Lee Daniels, Texas A&M University)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 1994 14:03:39 -0500 (CDT)
From: Dennis <IEDXW@ASUVM.INRE.ASU.EDU>
>One ignorant question about oil:  I was told that 20-50wt oil for example
>has a viscocity of 20 when cool and 50 when hot.  Surely this is not correct.

Yes, it is not correct.  A designation such as 20W-50 (W stands for
"winter") simply means that the cold viscosity is approx. that of a
straight 20-wt at that temperature, and the hot viscosity is approx. that
of a 50-wt oil at the higher temperature; i.e. a straight 20-wt oil would
be much less viscous at the higher temp.  As always, a picture tells it
best:

(Highly exaggerated, qualitative plot:)

          |       o,
        V |       \ 'o,
        I |        \   'o,
        S |         \     'o <---50-wt oil
        C |          \
        O |           \
        S |            \ <-- 20W-50 oil
        I |       o,    \
        T |         'o,  \
        Y |20-wt oil-> 'o,\
          |               'o

              TEMPERATURE

Of course, the real curves are not straight lines; the multi-weight
curve is probably asymptotic w.r.t. both the upper and lower curves.
The temperatures of the "intersections" are defined in some SAE report
somewhere - anyone know what the temps are? (Although they possibly
*never* intersect.)

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
daniels@lmsbvx.tamu.edu           (409) 845-3726         Fax (409) 845-9351