Minis

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british-cars@autox.team.net)
Subject: Minis
From: Marcel Chichak <chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 94 12:58:30 MDT
yesterday Von Prahl (z76399@uprc.com) was asking about Mini's so, guess
what? Here I am!

>i am looking into purchasing a mini-cooper here in the
>state (texas) and could use a little info.

Where in Texas? I'll dig up a few for sale cars for you.

>1. what was the last year the mini was imported to the u.s.?

1969. Crash requirements put them out of the picture as well as minimum
weights. Remember the Datsun 510? It weighed 2010 lb, just over the
minimum limit. You'll find Canadian cars in the US right up to the '82 model
when BL stopped shipping here too (front end impact requirements). Coopers
were only made until 1971, the 1275 S was anyway, the 998 finished in '69.

>2. what should i expect to pay for a "decent" mini?

$6K for a show quality 998 Cooper, $12-15K for a similar 1275 S. Higher
values are for Mk I and top dollar for a 1071 S. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN
INSPECTING, TALK TO ME FIRST! Cooper's are all too easily faked and you
have to know what to look for. I'll dig up some Mini Club contacts for
you if you get close to purchasing.

3. is the mini still being built in the u.k.?

Yup. Although with BMW in the picture expect this to be the last year. The '94
Cooper 1275 injected model goes for ~10K BP, what's that in yankee dollars,
$20K? Outragious by North American standards yes, but the market is
completely different there.

*Marcel Chichak  Certified Mini Nut | Go in deeper, come out  *
*voice (403)466-6004                |harder and come from     *
*Fax (403)469-8650                  |behind!, That's what it's*
*chichm@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca       |like to race a Mini!     *