Re: Gearbox oils

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gearbox oils
From: root@isaac.msfc.nasa.gov (Operator)
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 94 08:30:31 GMT-0600
Tim Radsick posts:

>I have a very basic question -- what does hypoid mean?  Also, I have

>been told not to use gear oils with high sulfur as this will degrade

>the coatings on the tranny components.  Is this an effect which

>usually takes place only at operating temps or did the 3 months of

>room temperature contact with Sta-Lube 90wt already do its damage?
>One

>last question, how do you know if a gear oil contains sulfur -- is

>this related to "hypoid"?

A hypoid is a mathematical curve - I don't have my math encyclopedia
with me right now, so I can't give a formula.  Probably irrelevant
anyway.  Older transmissions (like my Midget's) use straight-cut
gears - this means that the gear teeth, if you cut through them,
would have a rectangular cross-section.  Hypoid gear teeth (surprise)
have a hypoidal cross-section.  Straight-cut gears are noisier than
hypoid gears, and I think they wear out more rapidly.  Hypoids mesh
more smoothly, but apparently the pressure at the points of contact
is greater; this means a special type of oil must be used.  I have
always used standard SAE 80W-90 EP hypoid oil that you can get
anywhere.  I don't know anything about the sulfur content.

Michael Flora
NASA - Marshall Space Flight Center