Re: tranny, diff lube

To: sol <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tranny, diff lube
From: Randy Wilson <randy@taylor.wyvern.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 1994 22:34:27 -0400 (EDT)
Scott said:

> The B's gearbox uses motor oil of the same weight as that in the
> engine.  The principle is that while the gears require higher shear
> strength because of the direct pressure that the engine doesn't get,
> they also operate at a lower temperature where the oil keeps a
> higher viscosity.  The only issue then becomes temperature/viscosity
> range for your weather conditions.
>
> My recommendation: Castrol Syntec 5W-50.  I'm currently running that

 Ummm, it should be pointed out here that transmission syncros work by
friction. If you fill the gearbox with a nice, *slick*, synth oil, there
is a very real chance that it will crunch on every shift. I was warned
about this. I didn't believe it. I tried it.... once.

  Randy "gear oil = Castrol 20w/50" Wilson
    randy@taylor.wyvern.com