English?

To: British-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: English?
From: (Blair Engle) <engle@martechpop.physics.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 94 12:49:18 EST
I have seen numerous discussions on the net, of how the Brits destroy the
American language.  Here's one for you. "Shooting Brake."  This is English
for station wagon, the American name that I think was spawned from old
Henry Ford's station hack, a wooden sided van used to transport folks from
the railroad station to town. How the Brits got shooting brake out of that
I can't figure.

I have asked several Brits here at FSU and none can come up with a
reasonable derivation.  "Give it your best shop cheps."
Blair Engle                         "Like the Tinker said of the
Dept of Physics                     Wee Folk, you don't have to
internet: engle@phy.fsu.edu         believe in 'em to know they'r
tel: (904)-644-3770                 there."
"Press on regardless!"