Re: ZS carb dash pot

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ZS carb dash pot
From: pschauss@aol.com
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 94 18:19:23 EST
>>REGARDING                Re: ZS carb dash pot
>> Zenith Stromberg carb.  The dash pot looses oil
>> anyone changed the seal for the damper before

>Yes, its just an ordinary nitrile rubber O-ring. The tricky part is getting
>the
>old one out. Its on the needle adjusting screw, which is held in by a star
>washer kind of retaining clip way down deep in the damper tube. You might
try
>removing the side screw, then turning the needle adjustment screw with a
long
>allen wrench while pushing up on the needle.
>At least that's how I remember doing it once on the XJ12, but it was 7-8
>years

I used a hammer and a piece of brass rod to tap the screw loose from the
bottom of the piston.  The trick is to push the retaining clip up far enough
so that there is some space between the clip and the top of the adjusting
screw.  At this point, I used a dentist's pick to pull out the clip.  I
recommend
buying the adjusting screw, o ring, and clip before you start the process,
just
in case you damage one of the parts in the process.  As I recall, I got all
three from VB for less than $10 including shipping two years ago.

Also, having the parts in your hand makes it easier to visualize what's
going on inside of the dash pot.

Good luck

Peter Schauss                     email: pschauss@aol.com
1980 MGB