NET Nude Rally on 1 April!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: NET Nude Rally on 1 April!
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: 01 Apr 1994 17:40:40 -0500 (EST)
New England Triumphs

Lady Godiva Nude Rallye!

by Jeff Creel

Every year NET's traditional first driving event of the season seems to spark
debate and controversy. I suppose that's to be expected and probably healthy,
the new members questioning the established order. Alva Eldridge, putting in
his first appearance at this event in the Mayflower questioned the lack of
publicity for this event, not even a mention on the Official Calendar! Old
hands Jack and Jane Nixon explained that the necessity for keeping such a low
profile on the event grew from the 1991 fiasco when the Boston Herald got wind
of the event and ran full coverage of our uncoverage with both an event preview
and an extremely inconvenient press van on the day of the event. The crowd that
developed along the entire route was not only distracting but unsafe. Stuart
Goodwin and Guy Staff both narrowly escaped injury in near collisions with the
very unruly carloads of sorority women that seemed attracted like moths to a
flame by the solo performances of our two local bachelor participants. And who
will forget the undignified response to our group photo on Page 1 the next day!
Even the Groves, who had run the actual rallye in a very modesty-enhancing
Accura that day (the TR3 was still under restoration), had some explaining to
do.

Even today our season opener honoring that other (besides Triumph) famous
Coventry resident, Lady Godiva, draws some unwelcome attention. 'Tricia Frett
(whose long hair certainly evoked visions of that famous Lady of Coventry)
seemed unfazed by the attention her Spitfire was recieving until the busload of
Japanese tourists literally blocked the road and unloaded for snapshots. Frank
Frett, who had been on 'Trish's bumper in the TR6 for the whole route got into
a rather heated exchange withone overly freindly oriental ungentleman, but Jay
and Joice Hackett arrived in time to diffuse the situation. After Jay and
Joyce's unusual demonstration, Dick and Barbara Langworth somehow produced a
small Japanese flag and led the suddenly obedient tourists back aboard their
bus and got the behemoth rolling again and out of the way.

Another dicey moment occurred when Chuck Giorgio had to do some roadside
repairs on his TR6. The traffic situation was getting quite dangerous until
Fred and Sally Perry stopped to assist and suggested that while he was stopped
on the shoulder, Chuck should lean over the engine bay from the passenger side
exclusively.

In a very real way, of course, these distractions are a part of the challenge
of the Nude Rallye. Stopping to ask directions is much more challenging as Bob
Totten discovered, although next time I'd certainly recommend a gas station
instead of the local Police Department. The point was raised by NET Director
Bob Thorpe that TR3 competitors were at somewhat of a disadvantage due to the
cutaway doors on these models making discreation quite difficult, but Matt
Hogan rose to the occasion by posting a large "I Am Nude" sign in the rear
window of his TR7 coupe to even things up a bit. (Why do Wayne and Freida
Ericson always bring the TR3 and leave the TR250 home on this one - ed.) Of
course some members handle the challenge with more natural panache than others.
Jim and Eileen Chernoff always manage to look classy (accessories,
accessories), and P.T. and Jane Hart looked sophisticated as always.

There was some last minute quibbling over the rules when Nancy Lang insisted
she had to wear gloves to keep her hands warm enough to write if Bob was going
to put the topdown on the TR6. Art Baker produced some fingerless gloves which
seemed to fot the spirit of the day and were allowed on a voice vote. Some have
suggested that the 1st of April is a bit early in the season for this
particular event, but we were fortunate with bright sunshine this year,
although Jack and Linda Emery paid the price with a painful sunburn from thier
long drive from Maine - only the rallye was supposed to be nude Jack, not the
whole trip.

Overall, the day was a Triumph!

Reprinted without permission!

Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |