Re: Oil Consumption

To: jtrindle@ftf03.larc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: Oil Consumption
From: mburdick@unmc.edu (Mike Burdick)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 94 15:27:18 CST
John,

   > I have washed down the engine, and there is very little visible leakage.
   > The dipstick may have oozed a bit, and a bit around the sump seal and
   > crankshaft pulley.  Nothing like a whole quart during the check period,
   > though!.

Remember that oil that leaks out will drip to the ground (if parked) or
get blown back onto tranny, frame, diff, etc... (if under way) before you
totally rule leaks out :-)

   > However, I do have a sump gasket and timing cover/pulley kit to
   > prevent these leaks when I figure out how to get the pulley off...
   > (engine keeps turning instead of nut).

An air driven impact wrench is the best way to remove that nut.  Leaving
it in gear and using _sharp_ blows to a cheater bar (not steady pressure)
might work if it's not stuck too bad.

   > By the way, did you reply to me directly instead of to the list, to
   > both, or how does that work?  I am writing back to the list so this
   > appears in the digest... is this not right  Thanks!

I did reply to you directly, and not to the list.  There is no hard and
fast rule about what should go to the list and what should take place
"off line" except that list posts should be of general interest.  It is
up to the author to decide if something is "general interest".  Speaking
for myself, I find most of the drivel on this list generally
interesting :-) In this case, I just didn't post it to the list.
No good reason I guess.

Good luck,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu