Moss' winged knock-off wrench?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Moss' winged knock-off wrench?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 1994 14:46:50 -0800
Because I'm trying to keep the snake on the road while I'm restoring it,
I find that the wheels are on and off a lot.  I'm now on my second lead
knock-off hammer in less than a year.  At nearly $20 a crack, I'd really
like to find a more cost effective alternative.  Copper and brass
hammers are out.  I already know they damage knock-offs.

Moss is advertising a $35 winged knock-off wrench in the the latest
issue of BRITISH CAR mag and I'm wondering if this might not be the
answer.  The ad only shows a drawing so the construction is hard to
discern.  If contact is metal-on-metal, I think I'll stick with the lead
hammer, but if the contact surfaces have a cushion that won't mar the
knock-off ears, it may be what I'm looking for.  I gather from the ad
that it's similar to the octagonal knock-off wrench they sell which does
appear to make metal-to- metal contact.  Anyone have either type of
wrench?

There's an ad for a similar device in the back of the mag that's been
running for quite some time.  This wrench is sold by The Project
Company, but for the $130 + $10 shipping they want, I can make a lot of
trips to O'Connor Classics for new lead hammers.

Roland "sweating it in sunny California" Dudley