Re: The Laws for British Sports Cars

To: ghall@hebron.connected.com (Glenna Hall)
Subject: Re: The Laws for British Sports Cars
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 14:46:59 -0600 (CST)
Richard Hall writes >

> Chris Kantarjiev writes about "The Laws for British Sports Cars"

> <  For some reason, this sounds like something Peter Egan would
> <  have written...]

Not detailed and accurate enough.

> Chris, your suspicions were well founded.  Actually, this is
> something Dave Barry did write.  As a fellow member of The Morris
> Minor Registry, I'm disappointed to see them propagate this
> misattribution.  --Richard Hall

Too detailed and accurate.  Does not look right for Dave Barry to me.
When and where did you see this under Dave's name?  The only mention of a
British car I have seen from Dave is about his dads' Hillman.

We on the net may be guilty of a bit of copyright infringement, depending
on who gave whom permission to post this.  Since Don Hayward presumably
did not get paid to write this in the first place, little damage was done.
I certainly prefer that my writings be properly credited and that you send
me a copy of the publication gratis.  I certainly treat contributors to
THE RIGHT LINE this way.

But Richard Hall is alleging something far more serious.  He is alleging
that Don Hayward STOLE this piece from a professional writer and passed it
off as his own.  As an amateur writer (never published in anything bigger
than SPORTS CAR), I can't really be damaged by this sort of thing, even
though it would make me mad as hell.  Dave Barry is a professional, and
is damaged, however slightly, by the reprint of the material and damaged
more by someone stealing the work and using his own name.

Somebody has just been robbed.  The problem is, I don't know whether it is
Dave Barry or Don Hayward.

Does anyone here hang out on alt.dave.barry or whatever it is called?  Can
we find out the truth about this piece?