Re: junker laws & COVA

To: reilly@admail.fnal.gov (Rob Reilly)
Subject: Re: junker laws & COVA
From: phile@stpaul.gov (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 1994 15:25:30 -0600 (CST)
Rob Reilly writes>

> There is a lobbyist group forming called COVA, supported by professional
> restorers, parts & service suppliers/manufacturers, and hobbyists/collectors.
>
> Council of Vehicle Associations
> 10400 Roberts Rd.
> Palos Hills, Illinois 60465
>
> They are collecting data from any and all people involved in any way with
> antique/classic cars, to determine how big is the hobby in terms of dollars
> spent per year as a part of the Gross National Product, number of people
> employed, and also number of miles per year our cars are driven.
> They are fighting:
> 1. crusher programs
> 2. punitive taxation of old cars
> 3. zoning and land use ordinances against storing and restoring old cars in
>the
> privacy of your own garage
>
> Can you stomach a $4000 per year per car registration fee and property tax? If
> so, then ignore this warning. Such taxation was proposed in California.

Here is their survey sheet:

YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED.  COVA, the Council of Vehicle Associations,
is sponsoring this survey as part of its effort to defend the old-car
hobby against the destructive legislation now being developed and enacted
across the nation.  The statistics gathered by this survey will help
demonstrate to government officials the size of the constituency involved
in the hobby and the substantial economic force it represents.  Please
complete this survey and return it to the Council of Vehicle Associations,
10400 Roberts Rd., Palos Hills, IL 60465, or FAX your response to
708-598-4888.  If you need more copies of this form, or camera-ready art
for your organization's newsletter, please call 800-CARS-166.  All
information will be kept in strict confidence and used only for the
purpose of presenting statistical industry information to lawmakers.

PROFESSIONAL RESTORERS:  Complete this section if you make your living
restoring automobiles.
1. How many people do you employ (including yourself)?____________________
2. How many customers do you serve annually?______________________________
3. What are your annual sales?____________________________________________
4. How many jobs do you complete per year?________________________________
5. What do you spend annually on equipment, supplies, etc.?_______________
6. What is your market:  ___International  ___National  ___State  ___Local
7. To what vehicle associations, clubs, etc., do you belong?______________

SUPPLIERS/MANUFACTURERS: Complete this section if you supply goods and/or
services to the restoration industry.
1. How many people do you employ (including yourself)?____________________
2. How many customers do you serve annually?______________________________
3. What are your annual sales?____________________________________________
4. Do you export?_________________________________________________________
5. If you export, what percent of your annual sales?______________________
6. What do you spend annually on equipment, supplies, etc?________________
7. To what vehicle associations, clubs, etc., do you belong?______________

HOBBYISTS/COLLECTORS: Complete this section if you are a collectible
vehicle hobbyist/owner.
1. How many collectible vehicles do you currently own?____________________
2. What percentage of the restoration work do you do yourself?____________
3. On average, how much do you spend annually on a project?_______________
4. On average, how many suppliers do you work with annually?______________
5. To what vehicle associations, clubs, etc., do you belong?______________

6. How many miles per year do you drive each of your vehicles?____________

Would you like more information on how you, your company or your club can
become affiliated with COVA? ___YES ___NO      Thanks for your cooperation!