Re: Radar and others

To: "'smtp:british-cars@autox.team.net'" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Radar and others
From: israel@merck.com
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 09:17:00 PST
on Mon, 24 Jan 1994, Paul Osborne wrote:

>       that came with your car, the spedo, you would not be looking
>       for a device to look for the radar. I sugest that you use
>       that device that came with your car and slow down before you
>       do something to yourself or someone else that will cost more
>       than you can aford.

I have to believe that Paul is simply looking to stir up some reactions.
 Let's not forget that most of our interstates were designed for 70+ mph
traffic at a time when cars were running on bias ply tires with 4 wheel drum
brakes.  Even the AAA, a long time advocate of the 55mph speed limit, has
reevaluated its position.  States which raised the limit to 65 are not
finding that drivers are going any faster or slower than the few that kept
it at 55.  In reality the 65mph speed limit is proving SAFER as it provides
a more consistent, and even flow of traffic.

Why do you think insurance companies like Geico donate radar guns to police
depts. around the country?  Do you really believe it is because they care so
much for our safety?  Of course the fact that a ticket gives Geico and
others the opportunity to send rates through the ceiling has nothing to do
with it.

I have to agree with Ray Gibbons.  Most "safety enforcement traps" are found
on desolate stretches of highway when traffic is minimal.  (Also note that
most of the "criminals" pulled over have out of state plates).  My one
ticket in 13 years of driving was for travelling at 52 mph in a 40 mph zone.
 It was 11:30 at night on a desolate road surrounded by state forest land in
all directions.

Paul is right, we should not have to rely on radar detectors.  If we had
reasonable speed limits (65-70 mph in most areas) then there would be no
need for using them.  The 55 mph speed limit is simply a cash cow for both
insurance companies and state treasuries, safety has nothing to do with it.

Regards,

         Mike Israel

 mike_israel@merck.com
77 Spitfire