RE: English Ford motor questions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: English Ford motor questions
From: tvrvixen@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 94 18:56:35 EST
>From: jey@frame.com (Jeff Young)
>Subject: English Ford motor questions

>I'm putting together a car for vintage racing and I've got a few
>questions.  I've got a 1340cc English Ford motor, a single barrel
>carb (didn't notice the make), and a pair of two-barrel
>Dell'orto's.

>1) Can I get a cross-flow head for this motor, or do the xflow >heads
>only fit on the 1500 and 1600 cc blocks (indeed, are the blocks >any
>different at all, or are the larger displacement motors just bored
>and stroked)?

The crossflow head engines have the combustion chamber in the piston
instead of the head, so the pistons are very different.

>2) Is this a 3 or 5 bearing motor (or did they make both)?

The 1340 is a 3 main bearing engine, the book I have does not recommend
trying to increase th power much because of the hollow crank, long stroke and
short rods.

>3) What repair manual would detail this motor?  I know they were
>also used in Morgan 4/4's.  I believe the 1500 motor is used in
>the Cortina.  Is there a Morgan Haynes manual or anything else that
>would give me some good info?

I have a good book on these motors, "Tuning four Cylinder Fords" by Paul
Davies.
SpeedSport Press, ISBN # 0-85113-076-3.  I don't know if it is still in
print.

The 1340cc engine was used in the Ford Classic and early Capri, so if you
can find a manual for those it should work.

>4) Are the Dell'orto's going to be too much carb for this motor
>without a cross-flow head?

The book mentioned above says not to try to increase the power of the older
engines, get a later, larger motor first.  If you can find a Cortina GT 1600
cc engine it
would be a lot easier path to more power.

>5) I've got a mechanical clutch cable and a bunch of hardware for
>hydraulics.  Which is better for racing (and just how much pressure is
>a mechanical clutch going to require)?

>All this stuff goes in a '65 Ginetta G4 (approx 900 lbs).

Hope this helps, Don