English Ford motor questions

To: wheeltowheel@abingdon.Eng.Sun.COM, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: English Ford motor questions
From: jey@frame.com (Jeff Young)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 94 13:02:55 PST
I'm putting together a car for vintage racing and I've got a few
questions.  I've got a 1340cc English Ford motor, a single barrel
carb (didn't notice the make), and a pair of two-barrel Dell'orto's.

1) Can I get a cross-flow head for this motor, or do the xflow heads
only fit on the 1500 and 1600 cc blocks (indeed, are the blocks any
different at all, or are the larger displacement motors just bored
and stroked)?

2) Is this a 3 or 5 bearing motor (or did they make both)?

3) What repair manual would detail this motor?  I know they were
also used in Morgan 4/4's.  I believe the 1500 motor is used in
the Cortina.  Is there a Morgan Haynes manual or anything else that
would give me some good info?

4) Are the Dell'orto's going to be too much carb for this motor
without a cross-flow head?

5) I've got a mechanical clutch cable and a bunch of hardware for
hydraulics.  Which is better for racing (and just how much pressure is
a mechanical clutch going to require)?

All this stuff goes in a '65 Ginetta G4 (approx 900 lbs).

Thanks for any advice,

-- Jeff Young
jey@frame.com