Re: newsgroup NOT!- other solutions

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: newsgroup NOT!- other solutions
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 1994 16:05:00 -0500
I have been a long-time member of this mailing list and have seen this
issue come and go all the time.

The veterans of the list have always enjoyed the comradarie here that
simply doesn't exist in many newsgroups.  The major benefit of this is
that we are careful not to flame and are cautious in what we do post
as regards information.  The peer pressure on this mailing list is enormous!

We had some great postings back then!  I miss "Ovr Fovnder", Dale Cook,
and "Ex-Keeper of the Flickering Flame" Jim Muller.  I wonder if they
are still lurking here.

I just wanted to add that I share the views of the veterans, as always,
and keep us just the way we are, a venerable, creaky old mailing list!
Just the right kind of atmosphere for owners and lovers of old British
Cars!

I also agree with mjb and others, that its OK to have a newsgroup too.
But watchout for its quality!  A mailing list is somewhat moderated, at
least, with mjb to slap our wrists should the occasion warrant it.  For
this reason, I don't agree with gatewaying, to make a newsgroup and mailing
list one and the same.  I'd rather not see the crud posted to a newsgroup
filter down to the mailing list.

I sympathise with others who do want a newsgroup.  The answer is, go out and
form one!  Be careful though, you may as well start off creating several.
If you only create one you will end up splitting somewhere down the proverbial
road.

Rec.autos.british.mg, rec.autos.british.triumph, rec.autos.british.jaguar,
rec.autos.british.a-h and rec.autos.british.misc might be a good start based
on the traffic seen in this mailing list.

        Cheers and Good Luck!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert