blow-down compression works!

To: SOL LIST <BRITISH-CARS@autox.team.net>
Subject: blow-down compression works!
From: Eubank Lynn Alan <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 1993 08:53:29 -0600 (CST)
I can certainly testify to how well blow-down (leak-down) compression
works. We have an older VW beetle. it had a bad engine, so rather than
rebuild, we bought one of the off-the-shelf varieties and plugged
it in. Damn thing didn't work much better than the original. Sooooo,
we took it back out, put it into the back of the truck, and took
it with us on our "vacation" to my parents' ranch in Co. My father
(aircraft mechanic, among other things) and I did a blow-down
test. Testing the engine cold showed perfectly good rings & valves.
Testing it hot was another story: Nice, loud hissing sound out of
the exhaust on #2. Turns out that the dingbats had installed a
lousy valve that warped when hot.
Oh, by the way, how we tested hot with engine out of car. Easy
trick. Shove the engine close to the coal-fired heater in the
shop. When you start to see the engine smoking, it's hot.
Ok, not much lbc content per se, but germaine enuf, I guess.

later,
Lynnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Daniel in Hamburg: If you can't find a spring compressor locally
(i.e., in Hamburg), let me know. A friend of mine in Munich
probably has one you can use. Friends of friends in HH as well.