locking convertibles, again

To: Scions of Lucas <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: locking convertibles, again
From: <RGS03%ALBNYDH2.bitnet@UACSC2.ALBANY.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 93 12:30:19 EST
Bringing this back full circle to the original thread....
Years ago I bought my first lbc, a Sunbeam Alpine, and was told
by a good friend that I should NEVER lock the car. It made sense.
So I never have, I just never keep anything more valuable than the top
in the car. Anything valuable gets lockd in the boot. I've been
blessed with living in an area where the theft of lbc's is practically
non existant. (A Mazda RX7 on the other hand...)

I found one rather interesting effect of not locking the car, after the
Alpine when I owned a '66 E-Type. A neighbor told me that they had seen
a man rifling through my car every morning for the past week and why didn't
I lock it? I got up early to catch the guy in the act the next morning.
Sure enough, he showed up right on time and opened the Jag door. I went out
as quickly and quietly as I could and snuck up behind him. The funny thing is
he wasn't rifling through anything at all. He stood up, with a smile on his
face (Which quickly disappeared when he saw me). When I asked what he was
doing, He apologized for misleading meinto thinking he was looking for
something to steal, he just loved the smell of real English Leather
(as opposed to the aftershave) and he thought no one would mind if he
stuck his head inside and enjoyed the aroma. It takes all kinds, I guess.