Security Tabs/Locking TR7/8 Convertibles

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, joeg@sr.hp.com
Subject: Security Tabs/Locking TR7/8 Convertibles
From: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 15:20:00 +0000
James A. TenCate (jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu) asked about the pieces
of the original convertible top that I called "security tabs."
His, apparently, do not do what I recall mine did.

The TR7/8 top is unusual in that the area under the plastic side
windows (I think they would be called the rear quarter windows)
is attached to the body with snaps.  As a result, it would seem
simple for the larcenous to gain entry to the car by unsnapping
said snaps and unlocking the door.  I assume that this is why
the top comes with tabs that dangle downwards from the corner of
the top that is lowest and next to the roll-up door window.

This tab is "captured" by the door when closed, I wrote, and Jim
asked how.  I don't have an original top any more, perhaps others
could answer better.  I recall that the door, when closed,
squeezes the tab between the door and the body, making a fit that
is too tight to remove without opening the door.

Personally, I am not too concerned about this aspect of the
difference between the Robbins top and the original, as I have
always decided not to lock the car.  My reasoning is that a
thief can always gain access simply by cutting the roof with
a knife, so locking it only increases the cost of repair after
a break-in.  But there is a trade-off with regard to the thief-
of-convenience, who doesn't carry a knife and just noticed that
the car was unlocked.  Obviously, to deter this thief, the best
plan is to lock the car.

So, SOLs, do you lock your convertibles?  What do you think is
the best policy?

--Joe Gorin  joeg@sr.hp.com